Anglers have different options to choose from when it comes to fish-finders. A good example is the Humminbird Piranhamax 160. This particular model is a product of the Marine Electronics Group of Johnson Outdoors and the best technology was put into use during its production.
The technology used has made this unit capable of not only detecting but also indicating how big a fish is. It is suitable for boats as well as ships. With its high performance and targeting capabilities, not many fish get to escape from it.
Click Here to Skip Straight to the Customer Reviews
This unit has numerous exceptional features which have contributed to its exceptional performance capability.
Features of the Humminbird Piranhamax 160 Fishfinder
– It has a screen size measuring 4 inches with a gray-scale display of 8-levels.
– It has a resolution of 260 by 160. This high resolution will enable you get a clear view of whatever may be happening below you even when working under direct sunlight.
2. Fish ID
– Works through sonar processing. Whenever a fish is located, a fish icon appears on the screen.
– Depending on the strength of the returned sonar, you may also be able to identify how big the fish is.
3 Fish alarm
– This alarm can be set and notify you whenever fish is spotted within the area of coverage.
– The notification will depend on your voice settings. You can set it at a depth of 98 feet and any fish within this range will be targeted and you will begin to receive alerts.
4. Dual beam
– This feature has helped to increase the area of coverage of the unit, making it capable of performing in deep salty or fresh waters. It operates at a sonar ray of 200/83 kHz.
– Some factors which may affect the depth capability of this unit include speed of the boat, wave action, current water conditions and transducer installation.
– It operates on a power output of 1600Watts which is point to point.
– With such a high power output the unit will be able to exceed it performance capabilities.
Other than the above mentioned features, the strength of this unit can also be seen in various other aspects which include;
It is from this section of the unit that one gets a good view of the area beneath the water via sound waves. The most important feature of a transducer is the cone angle. The larger the cone angle degree, the larger the area to be covered. The Piranhamax 160 operates at 200/83 kHz. These are high frequencies hence the reason why this particular unit can perform well even in shallow waters.
Display (Resolution and size)
This has to do with size and resolution capability of a screen. Humminbird Piranhamax has a screen measuring 4 inches with a resolution of 260 by 160 pixels. It features an LCD screen which helps to project sharp and clear images. It also has keypad lighting which enables you to work in near dark or dim lighting.
This is measured in Watts. When using a fish-finder, high wattage automatically translates to an effective and compelling device. The Piranhamax has a power output of 1600 peak to peak 200Watts (RMS), hence its high effectiveness in the water.
Portable or fixed?
As an angler you have the choice of purchasing a portable or fixed unit. This will depend on a number of factors. For example, individuals who hire a boat each time they go for fishing will require a portable unit such as Humminbird Piranhamax 160. This can easily be mounted on the most suitable location such as the hull, stern or trolling engine and can easily be removed from fishing.
Ease of use
Piranhamax 160 is a user friendly device with no difficult menus. You are simply required to power the device and locate the fish within seconds. It can be referred to as a smart device since it automatically changes it settings to target fish located far off into the water.
Comparison with other Fishfinder Models
Comparing fish-finder models is a good way for an angler to know more about the strengths and weaknesses of a unit. With this information, you will be able to make a sound decision when it comes to purchasing the most suitable unit.
When compared to the Garmin 276c for example, the Piranhamax 160 has an LCD screen measuring 4 inches with a gray-scale display of 8 levels and a pixel resolution of 260 by 160. The Garmin 276c on the other only features a TFT screen measuring 3.8 inches and a resolution of 480 by 320.
You can find other comparisons by looking at our interactive chart on our homepage.
Below are some Pros and Cons of Piranhamax 160.
– Fairly affordable.
– It is quite effective when it comes to temperature and depth reading.
– Some claim that it only works best under low temperatures since the screen is barely visible when temperatures arise.
– It is not effective in rainy conditions due to the condensation of water around its edges. This makes reading difficult.
By looking through the features of the Piranhamax 160 and also comparing it to other fishfinders such as the Garmin model, you will be able to choose the most functional fish-finder. When all is said and done, this will help make your fishing experience a lively one.
The customer reviews of this particular model have been very positive. Both the 160 and the Piranhamax 170 (a very similar model) have received high ratings. The price of the Humminbird Piranhamax 160 is also well placed at the lower end of the scale, making it a great value purchase for any amateur fisherman. If you are looking for a good fish finder at a reasonable price, then this one is to be seriously considered.
Click Here for Further Price Details